Senate Bill 1383: Organic Waste reduction requirements

Mandatory Organics Collection starting in 2022!

Read about SB 1383 here, and check back for more info as we work to implement these requirements for our Ridgecrest Community! (Updated 3/2022)


Understanding SB 1383

Senate Bill 1383: Reducing Short-lived Climate Pollutants in California, Organic Waste Reduction requirements are:

1. Statewide residential & commercial organics recycling collection 2.edible food recovery. 3.procur

The most basic element of this regulation is requiring jurisdictions to provide an organic waste collection service that meets the regulatory requirements to each of their residents and businesses. This means a third brown "Organics" bin will be added.

  • Regulations take effect January 2022 -Jurisdiction programs must be in place.

  • Requires Californians to reduce organic waste disposal by 50% by 2020 and 75% by 2025 which correlates to a reduction of at least 4 million metric tons of greenhouse gas emissions annually, by 2030.

  • Additionally, SB 1383 sets a goal of increasing edible food recovery by 20% by 2025.

SB 1383 Jurisdication Requirements

Why is SB 1383 necessary?

   - Landfilling organics produces methane, a potent greenhouse gas that contributes to climate change in CA with both environmental and economic impacts. [ex: billions spent on wildfire management; drought cost $2.7 billion loss in agriculture industry]- Organic waste is composed of green waste, wood waste, food waste, and fibers such food-soiled paper/cardboard products & comprises 2/3 of current waste stream with food waste alone accounting for the largest waste stream in CA [18% of disposal in 2014 study]
- Diverting the organic waste stream from landfills extends the life of our current landfill, reducing the likelihood of a costly landfill creation project in the future.

  - Recovering edible food from the waste stream helps to feed the millions of Californians that are food insecure

Waste Pie chart


   - Redirecting perfectly edible food that is currently being disposed of, to instead feed those in need, will help alleviate this problem.


What is Food Recovery?

This will save landfill space and lower methane emissions, climate super-pollutants, emitted by organic waste in landfills.

Starting in 2022, some foodservice businesses must donate edible food to food recovery organizations with others starting in 2024.

This will help feed the almost 1 in 4 Californians without enough to eat.

California has a 2025 goal to redirect to people in need 20% of edible food currently thrown away.

Learn More about Food Recovery:

Understanding SB 1383 - Food Redistribution

The law directs the following:

Jurisdictions must establish food recovery programs and strengthen their existing food recovery networks. (

Food donors must arrange to recover the maximum amount of their edible food that would otherwise go to landfills. (

Food recovery organizations and services that participate in SB 1383 must maintain records. (


CALRECYCLE SB 1383 Education & Outreach


In December 2021. the City of Ridgecrest submitted a proposal to CalRecycle's Local Enforcement Agency for approval to implement bi-weekly collection of solid waste materials with the new implementation of weekly organics collection required under SB 1383. The City continued working with the LEA and the City's contracted hauler, Waste Management, thru February 2022 to provide follow-up information regarding the proposal and answer additional questions from the LEA review process. In March 2022, the City finalized discussions with the LEA and WM for approval of the collection frequency proposal. 

Projected to take effect in January 2023, this CalRecycle issued waiver will allow the City to implement bi-weekly collection of solid waste and recycling bins with the new organics bins collected on a weekly basis. Providing a bi-weekly collection of garbage rather than a weekly collection has the potential to encourage compliance with the new sorting requirements and reduce cost increases to residents. The City worked with Kern County and Waste Management to develop a proposal that addresses any potential health & safety concerns or impacts to local facilities - and the City is committed to continue working together to remedy any potential challenges that arise as a result of the program. The City of Ridgecrest is the first jurisdiction to be awarded this waiver, but others are now looking into this option as well. 

To learn more about the City of Ridgecrest's collection frequency proposal, view the documents below:

Collection Frequency Initial Proposal - Local Enforcement Agency

Collection Frequency Proposal Follow-Up - Local Enforcement Agency

For more information on CalRecycle Collection Frequency Waivers:

Alternative Frequency Guidance - CalRecycle

SB 619: Notice of intent to comply (NOIC)

Jurisdictions are required to implement SB 1383 starting on January 1, 2022. As jurisdictions are preparing to implement the law, many local governments are facing challenges due to the COVID-19 pandemic. In response, Governor Newsom signed SB 619 (Laird, Chapter 508, Statutes of 2021) into law to support local governments as they design and implement successful organic waste recycling programs throughout the state. The law authorizes CalRecycle to waive civil penalties if a jurisdiction submits a Notification of Intent to Comply for some or all of the regulatory requirements and successfully implements a plan to correct their violations. 

SB 619 Senate Hearing Report

Notice of Intent to Comply - SB 619 Infographic

The City of Ridgecrest was authorized to submit a Notice of Intent to Comply to CalRecycle at the City Council meeting on February 2, 2022. View the following documents for detailed information regarding the NOIC:

Resolution 22-07 - CalRecycle Notice of Intent to Comply (SB 619)

Notice of Intent to Comply - Staff Report (2/2/22)

Notice of Intent to Comply - Actions & Timeline

CalRecycle will be notifying jurisdictions of approved NOICs in the upcoming month - for more information visit: CalRecycle: Notification of Intent to Comply

Local assistance grant program

The Department of Resources Recycling and Recovery (CalRecycle) is administering a one-time grant program meant to provide aid in the implementation of regulations adopted by CalRecycle pursuant to Chapter 395, Statutes of 2016 and SB170 Budget Act of 2021. This non-competitive grant program provides $57,000,000 of funding to local jurisdictions to assist with the implementation of regulation requirements associated with SB 1383, including but not limited to:

  • Capacity Planning
  • Collection
  • Edible Food Recovery
  • Education and outreach (includes organic waste & edible food recovery)
  • Enforcement and Inspection
  • Program Evaluation/Gap Analysis
  • Procurement Requirements
  • Record Keeping

For more information check out CalRecycle's FAQ page here: Local Assistance Grant Program FAQs

At the City Council meeting on February 2, 2022, the City of Ridgecrest received approval to apply for CalRecycle funding opportunities, including the Local Assistance Grant Program. According to the Notice of Funding Availability page provided by CalRecycle, the City of Ridgecrest is estimated to receive $39,832 of the $59 million allocated for this grant cycle FY 21-22. The City intends to utilize this funding to assist with the design, production and marketing of materials and supplies for education and outreach. For more detailed information see the following documents:

Resolution 22-08 - CalRecycle Grant Authorization

Local Assistance Grant - Staff Report (2/2/22)

Recycling Services

City Hall will accept the following items from residents for recycling, these recycling programs have been set up in partnership with local charities/fundraising groups:

  • Cans and Bottles - bring your cans and bottles into the foyer of City Hall. Bins are provided - this program is in partnership with the Habitat for Humanity.
  • Soda Tabs - bring your soda tabs into the foyer of City Hall. Bins are provided - this program is in partnership with the Lions Club of Ridgecrest.

Waste Management Newsletter:

Click here to view the latest newsletter from Waste Management.

Where to Take Recyclables

  • Dave Pearsons Recycling Center - Cardboard Accepted (No Paper)
    1536 N Mahan
    Ridgecrest, CA 93555
    Phone: 760-446-0449
    Hours of Operation: Monday to Friday 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., Saturday 9 a.m. to 2 p.m.
  • Golden Empire Salvage
    811 E Ridgecrest Boulevard
    Ridgecrest, CA 93555
    Phone: 760-371-4406
  • Ridgecrest Landfill
    3301 Bowman Road
    Ridgecrest, CA 93555
    Phone: 800-552-KERN (5376), ext. 6

Visit the Kern County Waste Management Department website for information on County programs and facilities (such as Household Hazardous Waste Collection Events, Used Motor Oil Recycling) and to view the Kern County Recycling Guide. Ridgecrest Landfill accepts paper for recycling - no magazines, junk mail or office paper.


Commercial Recycling and Organics Recycling programs information is available on the Waste Management website.

Construction & Demolition (C&D) Debris

The City of Ridgecrest is required by State Law to divert a minimum of 65% of its waste from landfills. Many materials generated from C&D projects can be successfully diverted through recycling or reuse. Requiring C&D debris recycling as a condition of building permits helps the City to comply with State Law. The City requires 100% of inert solids and at least 50% (by weight) of the remaining C&D debris be diverted from the landfill for project types listed. 

A waste management plan (format provided) must be submitted to the Building Official prior to the issuance of a building permit. Additionally, to obtain final approval for the project, the applicant must document CALGreen compliance within 30 days of project completion by submitting all recycling/disposal facility receipts.

CALGreen requires covered projects to recycle and/or salvage for reuse a minimum 65% of the nonhazardous construction and demolition waste or meet a local construction and demolition waste management ordinance, whichever is more stringent.

Waste Management

To help meet this requirement, the City has a franchise agreement for solid waste handling and recycling with Waste Management. WM can assist applicants in diverting C&D material through construction and demolition dumpster services in the City limits of Ridgecrest. You can reach them at 888-266-7511, ext. 4 for Commercial Services.

Tips to Manage C&D Material at the Job Site

  • Determine recycling, salvage, reuse and disposal options before the job begins.
  • Consider deconstruction instead of mechanical demolition.
  • Reuse materials such as fixtures and doors.
  • Donate materials that can be reused to charities or nonprofit agencies.
  • Educate contractors regarding your waste management plan.
  • Clearly identify recycling areas with large signs.
  • Place recycling bins in areas that will minimize misuse or contamination by the employees and the public.
  • Place advertisements in local newspapers announcing salvageable and reusable materials for sale or donation.

Have questions about local trash and recycling services? Please contact Waste Management (WM) at 760-463-6024.